Tuesday, October 28, 2008

My garden over runneth....

Our garden is in full swing and I wish you were all here to reap the bounty! This is just a very small portion of the tomatoes that were eventually plucked from the vine. They covered my counter when done. I've passed many on to friends and I will freeze the rest for the soups and stews to come in the cooler weather. YUM! The banana peppers and gypsy peppers are equally prolific. This is all just one day's pickins. I was searching the web for pepper recipes. I came across an easy one for a pepper casserole. It is below for the sharing.Banana Pepper Casserole
10 banana peppers
8 oz. Velveeta cheese
1 Cup cooked rice
1 can biscuits, 5 ct.
1 can Rotel, drained

Split banana peppers open and remove seeds & veins. I plan to parboil the peppers next time to make them just a bit more tender. I left them whole with a split down one side.
Cube cheese and microwave til melted. Stir rice into melted cheese. Stuff each pepper with the cheese/rice mixture.
Roll each biscuit very thin and cut in half. The recipe didn't say what to do with this, but I think they intended that you wrap each pepper with the dough. I placed the whole, thin biscuit across the top.
Place peppers into a greased baking dish. Spoon Rotel over peppers, keeping liquid to a minimum.
Bake 400 degrees until biscuits are flaky.

This was fast and easy and I'll make it again. Hope it turns out for you too.

A thought that matches today's economic situation:

If you outgo exceeds your income, then your upkeep will be your downfall.

No comments: