Thursday, April 8, 2010


The flowers are blooming in my studio. 
I love it even though they are organza.
A few nights ago, I revisited a craft I did almost 20 yrs ago.  It's no secret that I sew...A LOT!!  I work on special occasion dresses and I have all these scraps of organza, silks and chiffons.  I can't throw away these precious scraps because there might be the perfect craft project to use them up.  I am soooooo not one to waste anything if I can help it, hence...clutter Supplies are everywhere!
I just made a dive into a bundle of pink organza and started cutting out circles.  You don't have to be precise and just concentrate on 3 or 4 graduated sizes.  The edges of these blooms are then passed above a candle flame. 
Keep the fabric about an inch or so above the flame and keep the heat at the edges of the circle.  You need to be very careful, FIRST to NOT burn your fingers, SECOND to not burn up the fabric.  Once the heat is applied, the fabric will curl up along the edges.  This process can happen very fast.  Now is not the time to multi-task!
After there is a good assortment of petals, layer 3+ graduated sizes on top of each other to create a flower.  Use a fine needle with coordinating thread and take a couple of stitches in the center to join the layers.  Tie a knot...VOILA!!  You have a bloom.  Add pearls, brooches, jewels (or whatever makes your heart skip) to the center with some glue and you have a awesome addition to your embellishment stash.

I will also share a quick project I did a while back.  I used my grandmother's "ear bobs" to hang a photo.  I left the clip-on earring intact and tied a ribbon at the hinge area.  The hanging ribbon is one single length.  I added the bow at the top with a seperate length of ribbon.  If you find that your earring clip is a bit loose and the pic falls out, use the little foam 'comfort' pads you find in the earring dept.  These work and don't harm the photo.

I have several of these and they also look cute hung from the finial of your lamp or furniture knobs...just adjust the length of ribbon to fit the current use.

There were also lots of earrings that had lost their mate in my stash of jewelry.  I removed the clip backs with pliers and side cutters.  The final step I glued a tack to the back with an appropriate heavy duty glue.
These are a lot more glamorous to look at and use than plain ole push pins. 
This is my glimpse in the studio for the day. 
 The lineup for tomorrow is a quilt festival for some inspiration and motivation.  I hope to get a new post about my zipper roses done and another sewing project that just escaped from my sewing machine!

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Love your flowers.