Monday, November 9, 2009

Blue Monday

It's not what you think. I'm not all sad and hanging around all down in the mouth. But, instead celebrating more blue that entered my house. I have a definite sumpin, sumpin for blue and then if it is glass or breakable in any manner, it seems to find it's way home with me.
My dear grandmother gave me a set of dishes in this pattern as a wedding gift many years ago. I have managed to slowly deplete a few of the pieces through daily use. I was doing a happy dance when I saw a box full of these pieces for a price that would make you sing. I will still be searching for the dinner plates.

Since we are talking tableware, I'll pass on our etiquette tip for today:
  • Never tip a plate or a glass to obtain the last atom of its contents.
  • Avoid looking over the top or rim of cup or glass while drinking, and do not gulp a beverage down as though famished. The lips should be carefully wiped before drinking to avoid leaving the marks of greasy lips on the rim of glass or goblet. Wipe the lips after drinking milk, cocoa, or chocolate. So, I see smoothies and coffee are exempt?
(obtained from a handbook published by the Association of Women Students and Self-Governing Association of Texas Technological College,1938)

2 comments:

Ruby said...

Mother had blue Currier and Ives'. No trains or cars on hers. Great find.

Unknown said...

I have a collection of these dishes. I use them as my china. I covet a platter but haven't found one at the thrift store yet.