Saturday, April 16, 2011


Ok was midnight and the creative bug attacked me. I had no defenses and had to succumb. Why, oh why didn't I go to bed earlier??!! The trek to the fabric stash uncovered an old dirndl skirt from the 60's/70's. It was quite a classic to be sure and made of upholstery fabric!! My dear grandmother used to scavange the thrift stores for old fabrics to use in her own projects. I brought this piece home (along with the huge tub full of goodies). She had a good eye for texture and color and I've pulled from that stash many times. Thankfully it was a long version and supplied me with a sufficient amount of fabric.

That is until I got to the back of the chair back. hmmmm, my mind was whirling with ideas..or was I numb from lack of sleep? You can see the hideous office grey peeking out. Did I remember ANY before and after pics? NOPE! Just to keep consistent with the forgetfulness dept.

I found some silk scraps and pieces of ribbon. Keeping with the upcycling mode, none of the ribbons matched, but were in the turquoise blue theme to tie in with the fabrics. I finished by 1:30 and hit the hay. I am loving this new redo of this plain chair and I got to clear out some more of that fabric stash. Yippee!

I also had finished putting my daybed back together in the afternoon. I redid the skirt a while back. The many layers of fabric at the seam was almost impossible for my machine to sew through. Beware when you sew 6 layers of home dec fabrics and 2 layers are gathered!

I have recycled some old doilies, table runners and hankies into all the pillows. Everything I used were leftovers from prior projects and I didn't have to purchase one solitary piece of fabric. I even had several of the pillow forms already on hand then used odd pieces of poly batting to stuff the others. I love these kind of projects for sure.

I know you may have noticed the drawer handle in the other pic. You're jealous of such fab hardware...I know, I know! I had plenty of selections and I stayed in my turquoise theme of course.

It is supposed to be this style, but, alas some of the pieces are missing. I will have to find someone to recast some replicas of this hardware. I can also see it become another of my own projects also. I'd like to learn to make replicas of this gorgeous hardware and some of the mouldings I have on hand. Perhaps later this summer that project may be complete.

No comments: